Re: [PROPOSAL] dh_ant

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:23:23PM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> It is just for building the package. I don't think that most users will
> rebuild the Java packages, especially since they are architecture
> independent. You also need a lot of -dev packages (and gcc) for
> rebuilding C and C++ packages, so that's the normal way.

Please don't assume this.  There are lots of reasons for rebuilding,
not the least of which is making your own modifications.

> I think the package
> maintainer knows best which JDK is suited for building the package, so
> he should chose one.

Although the compatibility of Java implementations is poor, this is
not a state we should perpetuate.  Many people are willing to try
rebuilding packages with other compilers and libraries.  This should
be encouraged since it will improve compatibility over time.

Andrew