Re: additions to java-policy

Hallo Ben,

* Ben Burton wrote:
>> I agree with this. IMO a java jar should be handled the same as a
>> binary lib ad should get API Version (~SONAME) included in its name.
>The problem is that many java libraries don't have a concept of an API
>version / soname.  All you can guarantee to get is a release version,
>which may or may not be the same thing.

So then every such release should have different package names. If a
app can only use a specific Lib version and another app a different
one, I can't install both of them, if that is not possible.

But I see what you mean. Currently Eclipse comes with a precompiled
Xerces (IBM Maintainance stream, somewhat outdated AFAIK), as the
debian one can't replace it without breaking a lot of things (this is
on upstreams Todo...).

I've asked SWT upstream, how API changes are handled and they have
quite a strict policy about breaking API changes, so I hope I will
manage with versioned package names.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net