Re: additions to java-policy

Ben Burton wrote:

This is not a valid argument.  Just because debian packages don't use a
feature doesn't mean users aren't using the feature with their own
home-grown software.

But I think the process should go in the other direction: Instead of specifing something and waiting for people to implement it we should document what has been implemented and is working well.

Using versioned JARs in packages without versioned dependencies or outside of packages is very dangerous. As soon as the corresponding package is upgraded your JAR is simply not there any more. One major point about packages is that you can count on their content remaining the same and that's not the case for versioned JARs.

If we want to use versioned JARs, we also need to put the version in the package name - otherwise we'll gain nothing at all.

Stefan