Re: java plugin w/ unstable mozilla

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:19:19AM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
> I can't tell you how to determine which gcc a binary was compiled with,
> but I can tell you that you're not just doing something stupid.
> Downloading a -gcc3.2 tarball from Blackdown certainly fixed my JNI crash,
> which I am told was due to a gcc-2.95 Java runtime.

What's funny is that with the .deb JRE 1.4.0 package I installed
(1.4.0.99beta-1), mozilla wouldn't even load the plug-in.  I'm using
mozilla from unstable--maybe it has been taught not to try loading
an incompatible version?  Very frustrating that there's no
diagnostic, though.

> Also, if you download the "source package" for the debian j2re1.4 you in
> fact find a binary blackdown tarball with a few debian-specific files
> added.  This blackdown tarball is a 1.4.1-beta tarball and not a
> 1.4.1-01-...-gcc3.2 tarball.

Ok, that makes it clear.

> So I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that manually downloading a -gcc3.2
> java runtime from blackdown won't be a waste of time.

It wasn't.  I filed bug 199090 about the wrong documentation in
the mozilla-browser package.  I also emailed the blackdown guys
about how misleading it is to put a gcc 2.95 package in the Debian
unstable archive.

Andrew