java plugin w/ unstable mozilla

The current unstable mozilla-browser says (in README.Debian)

    5. using Java. (You should use plugin which compiled with gcc-3.2)

      You should install j2re1.4 (BlackDown Java Linux) package from
        deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian unstable main non-free
      or other mirrors.

But I installed it (from the ftp://metalab.unc.edu mirror), and
fiddled with the symlinks in the plugins directory every which way,
with no success.

I've also read instructions (eg, in a debian-devel mail) not to
download the Debian package, but to get the tar file that is labeled
GCC 3.2.  I'll probably try that, but I'm loathe to waste the time
if it turns out I'm just doing something stupid.

So, does the packaged blackdown jdk 1.4 work with current mozilla or
not?  Is there any way I can tell whether a binary was compiled with
GCC 3.2?  Is there any way to debug the loading of the java plugin?

Andrew