Re: servlets/JSP's development environment - disregard top post

"cmustard@nyc.rr.com" <cmustard@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 14:49, cmustard wrote:

[...]

> christopher, thanks for the response, i really appreciate it.
>
> First, you will need Java. Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian unstable main non-free
>
> -ok, this is something i have wondered about. I run woody stable, will the
> above unstable source only apply to java packages. (i.e it won't effect
> other packages or stable sources on my system?, unstable java packages will
> work with my stable system?)

If you dear to blend packages from different debian releases (stable,
testing and unstable), you could try this.  But you are mostly on your
own, and you *could* ruin your installation (but not likely).

You add this line to /etc/apt/preferences
# Prioritize different releases
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 80
# eof

That will tell apt et all to get from stable first, then testing and
last unstable.

And then add this to /etc/apt/source.list
# Testing
deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Unstable
deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# BlackDown (Java)
deb ftp://sunsite.dk/mirrors/java-linux/debian woody main non-free
deb ftp://sunsite.dk/mirrors/java-linux/debian unstable main non-free

# eof

Please change sites to what you have near you.

With this you could install packages from stable, testing and
unstable, and you will have right dependencies installed to.

An example:
apt-get -u -t testing install java-common

This will install java-common from testing, and take package from
stable first to see that it is installable.  If right version isn't in
stable, it will try to load from testing.

(If you get memory problems doing apt-get, try to comment out some
 lines in /etc/apt/source.list)

/Jackson