Re: servlets/JSP's development environment - disregard top post

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:16, cmustard@nyc.rr.com wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 14:49, cmustard wrote:
> > I want to set up a java development environment to
> > develop servlets/JSP's. I'm running debian woody 3.0 'stable'
> > I have read: debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq
> > and java.sun.com/ - many pages and links here, as well as
> > many other sources. (maybe too many and 'old' ones)
>
> First, you will need Java. Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian unstable main non-free
>
> -ok, this is something i have wondered about. I run woody stable, will the
> above unstable source only apply to java packages. (i.e it won't effect
> other packages or stable sources on my system?, unstable java packages will
> work with my stable system?)

Yeah. I don't know for sure. You can also try running "stable", but I
don't know what packages are available for stable, so you will have to
run "apt-cache search foo" to find out if the packages you want are
available in the stable branch.

> There are several EJB containers out there, but you will need to
> download them from the appropriate websites. Try Resin or JBoss. I like
> Resin, but JBoss may be more popular. Neither of them are 100% free.
>
> -i'm not familiar with EJB?

No sweat. That means you probably aren't going to use EJB, so don't
worry about it. Just use Tomcat.

CT