Different Window Systems of eclipse (was: SWT choice on Eclipse)

* Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>> * Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> >'eclipse-gtk'  and 'eclipse-motif'  wrappers and  update-alternatives to
>> >have an 'eclipse' wrapper.
>> Just a wrapper for a simple '-ws gtk' and '-ws motif' change?
> Yes, I think it will be easier to manage it with update-alternatives.

Thats true. But that will be a maintainance nighmare, if I have to
change every bit in two or more places, just to have two different
'-ws' values...

> So,  SWT can  be  a library  completely  independant of  eclipse.

Yes. Thats why the swt.jar and some other things are in
/usr/share/java and /usr/lib/jni... You can build your swt app, just
like you can do with swing or awt.

>So  the
> wrappers will  not be valid because  you'll have to face  the problem of
> *every* java  applications/libraries that  will be build  on the  top of
> SWT... motif or gtk?

Yes, I just realiced that as well :(

So apart from the eclipse startscript ('-ws' problem, binary
launcher) also the library itself has to be under
update-alternatives...

> Isn't it  possible to know what's  available at runtime? or  maybe set a
> new environment variable?

There isn't really a problem: I will use update-alternatives after
getting the motif thingies working again. The swt.jar will be
renames to swt-<ws>.jar (no problem with binary libs: they get
anyway named after the ws, which is used) and update-alternative
will set the symlink to swt.jar.

I will put that on my TODO list. A new version will probably out
next weekend (sunday night, if my Harry Potter book doesn't get in
my way :), but this probably will NOT make it into that version.

I will rename libswt-java to libswt-gtk2-java and leting it
provide libswt-java (will ask in devel about a new virtual
package first of course) and then use updatealternative to do
something about swt.jar and friends.

Any comments? Takashi?

Jan