Re: Unable to compile class for JSP error after installing Tomcat 4 4.1.24

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 13:31, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Jeff Self <jself@nngov.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 11:54, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > > Try to add
> > > JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/home
> > >
> > > in the tomcat4  start script in /etc/init.d/tomcat4 or  try to use jikes
> > > as  compiler (see the  tomcat documentation).  Can you  mail us  when it
> > > works ;-)
> > >

> > This didn't help either. I already had JAVA_HOME defined in my
> > /etc/profile but I added it to /etc/default/tomcat4 as well.
>
> Is the security  manager set to yes?  Try no. If it's ok,  you can start
> investigating the java security manager permissions ;-)
>
> > I'll try and downgrade to j2sdk1.3 and see if that does the same.
>
> I do not think it's the problem.  If you compile with javac, you need to
> set JAVA_HOME to find tools.jar. If  you compile with jikes or else, you
> do not have to. I think I'm correct ;-)
>
> -- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
>    Formateur Cellule Programmation.

I think there's a serious problem with the latest version of the Tomcat4
package or a related package. I just tried running it from my desktop
which just installed 4.1.24 today from Debian unstable and I'm getting
the same error message here as well as the other machine.

--
Jeff Self
Information Technology Analyst