Re: EnterpriseJavaBeans and Debian

On Thursday 15 May 2003 08:55 am, Michael S Daines wrote:
> OK.  So I've managed to install the JDK finally (in a proper, Debian way).
> Now I need to get to a point where I can use EJBs.  I'm taking a class now,
> so I have zero experience with this area.
>
> I did download the files from Sun for the j2ee
> (j2sdkee-1_3_1-linux.tar.gz).  I looked around for some insight on the net
> and really didn't find any.  What would be the Debian way to get this in
> there?

None is currently available.  Just follow the normal instructions to install
in a local directory.

> Also, what are my alternatives for the application server anyway?  For
> class, we are just going to use what comes with the j2ee, but I'd be
> curious what else is available.

JBoss is probably the 'premiere' open source J2EE app server - there are
probably other open options, and there are a multitude of commercial servers,
some of which are available free for developer usage.

Some work has been done on packaging JBoss for Debian, but no progress has
been reported recently.

 - Keegan