Re: GCJ and AWT

Tom Tromey wrote:

"Antonio" == Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fiol.bonnin@terra.es> writes:

Antonio> As of February 2002, I read on this list archives that AWT was not
Antonio> usable. However, it seems that since then things may have changed.

Alas, no.

We do have most of the java side of AWT written (though there are
known bugs and problems).  That makes it look like AWT works, since
you can compile many programs against it.

Oh, that's bad news...

However, best news is that you are so responsive (20 min?!). Thank you very much!

Antonio> What I get is:
Antonio> Exception in thread "main": java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT
Antonio> toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit

What you're seeing here is that the peers are not finished.  Currently
they aren't even in the gcj source tree.

Antonio> I have tried to install the classpath package, and to export
Antonio> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/classpath before I try to run my app, but it
Antonio> does not seem to help at all.

It isn't quite that easy to get the peers, unfortunately.  We're
planning to make the Classpath peers available in gcc 3.4 (it is too
late for 3.3, bleah).

Is it possible to get them working, however? Any pointer to docs?

I have also tried to link my app using -L/usr/lib/classpath -lgtkpeer, with and without -Dawt.toolkit=gnu.awt.gtk.GtkToolkit (I set this because of what I read on: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/java/compare/java.awt.Toolkit.diff )

Neither worked :-(

Also, I have read a line about SWT, from IBM. I admit my being lazy by posting this question here: Have you heard of it? Is it free? Does it work with GCJ?

Antonio> I did not find much info on http://www.gnu.org/gcc/java

How can I improve the web pages?

Please include the info you have just provided (support intended for 3.4) on the FAQ about AWT. Such a simple gesture could make a difference, IMHO.

Other than that, is there an estimated timeline for GCC versions?

Thank you very much.

Antonio Fiol