Trouble building Babel

Greetings,

I'm trying to build a new package babel (ITP in bug 149148), but am having a bit of trouble. Specifically, the babel build breaks in the middle, the force-jarfile target in the compiler subdir always seems to complete successfully, but then make dies after completing it. A subsequent make, or debian/rules build, completes the build successfully, and the .jar produced by that force-jarfile seems to work perfectly.

Can I ask for some help on understanding why this isn't working? The package status is at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/babel.html with a link to the directory where you can download the package files.

Second, the package uses Java to generate source code which is then compiled, producing arch-dependent packages. So debian/rules binary-arch requires that the binary-independent Java stuff be there, and thus compiled for each architecture, even though it will only be included in one set of arch-independent packages. This seems inefficient; is there a way to have the arch-dependent part build-dep on the arch-independent part, without splitting the source package in two? If not, I'll just have to waste the autobuilders' time building the Java stuff needed to build the arch-dependent stuff.

Finally, why does kaffe require that one include the most basic runtime library in -classpath?

[Please CC me in replies, since I'm not subscribed.]

Thanks,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>