both sun's JDK 1.4 and blackdown's JDK 1.4 have problems with locales on Debian potato 2.2.19pre17, libc-2.2.5

Hi, I'm having serious troubles with both the blackdown and the sun's JDK under debian. It seems that they do not use the locales : it's impossible to open any file containing an extended char (òàùèéì ....), it's impossible to write an exteded char to the console or to a file, and they are substituted by question marks .

I've generated all the locales (yess, all :)) with "dpkg-reconfigure locales" .. and still no way. With JDK 1.3.1 from blackdown packaged as a .deb it worked out when i generated locales.

Can anybody help?

Simone