Re: L10N resources

Hello,

On 22 Sep 2002 11:44:28 BST, Mark Howard <mh@tildemh.com>  said:
> Hi,
>   We're working (upstream) on a java program which includes multiple
> l10n files, based on ResourceBundles. The java documentation on the
> placement of these is very sketchy, but we think that the only
> requirement is that they reside somewhere within the classpath.=20
>
> We could easily include them in the main jar file to go in
> /usr/share/java, however most packages seem to place such data in
> /usr/share/locale (I'm assuming this is so that users may easily delete
> unwanted languages). This would also be possible, although would
> probably require a more complicated wrapper script for /usr/bin.=20
>
> Where does Debian want these files installed?=20

If the documentation is large, then it would be helpful if it could
be placed into a separate package.  (Files in that package could still
be accessible on the CLASSPATH.)  A separate package for a large documentation
set has two advantages:
-- anyone who doesn't need the documentation (e.g., he has 2 machines, and only
needs the docs on one of them) needn't bloat his system with unnecessary
documentation.
-- anyone who wishes to provide access to docs for Debian packages (e.g., as
a service for his colleagues or his students) won't be required to install the
executables.

Normally, the documentation for package foo goes in /usr/share/doc/foo.

I think the info you want is in section 13.3 of the Debian Policy Manual:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html

Hope that helps,
Susan Kleinmann