Re: Packaging a library, with JNI and javadocs

The problem here is that a package that includes jni and Java code
probably can't be auto-built on all architectures, even those that
have support for the correct JVM, because the JVM isn't included in
the distro. By splitting it up, the auto-builders will do the job of
constructing the shared object on the architectures they support.
Otherwise, it would require the maintainer (or someone else) to manually
build on other machines. This would probably result in certain platforms
being less supported in Java than they could be.
It's obviously a trade-off, and debian will have to make a decision. I
don't think either one's "right", but I tend to like splitting it up,
even if it does pollute the package name space, and unnecessarily
increase the package count.
Not that my opinion makes a difference here,
Peter Kahle, Debian User

--

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.

|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||   http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/   ||