Serious problems with Java & threads on stable & unstable... (?)

[
 Pardon me if this is a duplicate, but I sent this just before my
 subscription was confirmed, and it hasn't hit my inbox or the archives
 yet.
]

Has anybody else tried running the volano.com benchmarks
(http://www.volano.com/benchmarks.html) under debian?  They fail miserably
using the blackdown JVM from the stable & unstable branches.  They also
fail using the sun 1.4.0 packages.

The volano benchmarks use their chat server and creates a certain number of
rooms with users in them, and times how quickly messages get propogated to
everyone in a room.

This is the output I get:

[Fri May 10 23:40:44 EST 2002] Unexpected error in MainServer
thread. (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread)
[Fri May 10 23:40:44 EST 2002] MainServer thread is stopping

This is on a PIII/550 w/384 megabytes of memory and 768 megabytes of swap.
We never hit the swap at all.  Most memory used is 250 megabytes, with
approximately half of that being used by the buffers/cache.

I can run a -very- limited test on debian without it dying.  Around 20
active connections before it croaks.

On a stock redhat 7.2 installation, I can run 505 active connections before
receiving a similar message.

This fails on debian stable (potato) and unstable (sid).

Has anybody run into something similar?  'ulimit -a' doesn't turn up
anything particularly alarming on either box.  This fails as root and as a
normal user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I really want to convince my bosses
to use debian instead of redhat. :)

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam