Re: Java Policy.

itz>  If you permit an outsider to intrude... :)

Ola> What did you mean with this?

Java is not my cup of tea (coffee?), or at least hasn't been up to
now.  I am interested in it, but I really don't like the
incompatibility of diverse JVMs and consequent uncertainty about
dependencies (and even freedom status) of Java code.

itz> Why must all lib*-java packages depend on java-virtual-machine?
itz> gcj is supposed to be able to compile class files into native
itz> code, isn't it?  So these class libraries are, in theory, usable
itz> by people who just use them for gcj based develompent and link
itz> them into their executables.

Ola> You are right. The policy was written when gcj was in _early_
Ola> stages.

Ola> It should recommend (or at least suggest) a java-virtual-machine
Ola> though. Or simply depend on java-common which should take care of
Ola> that.

Ola> Actually I'm thinking of splitting java-common in three.  *
Ola> java-common (which should provide some help scripts and suggest
Ola> or depend on things).  * java-policy (With the policy).  *
Ola> java-faq (with the faq).

Ola> What do you think about that?

Yes, I think this makes sense:

             depends               recommends
libfoo-java     ->     java-common     ->      java-virtual-machine

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087