Re: Free Java specifications (was Re: Java Policy.)

David Jardine wrote:

> > 2. Drop all Sun-deprecated classes and methods; conform only to the
> >    latest non-deprecated version of an API spec
>
> But wouldn't a lot of browsers out there be unable to handle
> some of the "newer" things?

Browsers have been stuck at JRE 1.1 for years.  Time to prod
them along...  The three browsers of most bearing:

1. Mozilla: said to ship without a default JRE, but allows any
        JRE to be installed.  No problem here (when it all works).
        Currently a miniscule fraction of the browser market,
        but of keen interest to free software users.

2. IE:  M$ no longer installs a JRE.  Sun is plugging the gap
        by implementing auto-install of Java Plug-in for IE.
        No problem here (when it all works).  IE has 80% of the
        browser market, so Sun's success with Java Plug-in is
        crucial.

3. Netscape:  The BIG MYSTERY.  Why does 4.7x still ship with
        JRE 1.1?!!  Who even controls NS nowadays, Time Warner/
        AOL?  (Translate as -- who do we bug to get this fixed?)
        Does Sun have some influence with Netscape?  If so, why
        do they permit 4.7x to atrophy at 1.1?  BIG MYSTERY
        (at least to me).

        NS 6.2 ships with JRE 1.3.1_01.  Much better. Sun had a
        hand in this as 1.3.1_01 was released specifically for
        NS 6.2 (so I heard).  Only problem with NS 6.2 is that
        it is a fat slow pig.  NS 4.7x is much more nimble.
        How do we get JRE 1.4.x into NS 4.7x??  NS has most of
        the remaining 20% of the browser market, so this is a
        non-trivial question.

We should take an active role in moving browsers off square 1.1,
including not warping future Java plans to fit old browsers. Build
for the future (and direct noise at Netscape), and browsers will
follow.

Rick
--
                  Rick