Re: Java Policy.

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 17:16, Adam Heath wrote:
> On 12 May 2002, Jim Pick wrote:
>
> > Also, as the upstream kaffe maintainer, I'd really like it if for each
> > package that was stuck in contrib because kaffe can't run it (eg.
> > unimplemented APIs, etc), there was a "wishlist" bug filed against kaffe
> > stating how it fails.  I suppose that goes for the other JVMs too.
> > Maybe that could be worked into the policy?
>
> Er, no, this should not be part of policy.
>
> Policy should not mention any software, unless absolutely nescessary.  And
> this is not a nescessary reason.
>
> Ie, if this was done, it should be done for all free virtual machines, not
> just kaffe.  Kaffe, while being the one of the first, if not the first, is
> just another vm, amoung several others.

I guess my point was that I just don't like the status quo - where some
software doesn't work, so it gets stuck in contrib, and the people
trying to make the JVMs work don't get a bug report.  Since one of the
things I want to do with Kaffe is to try to run it against as much
software as possible, I'd really love to get the bug reports.

Cheers,

 - jim