Re: Free Java specifications (was Re: Java Policy.)

> 3. Netscape:  The BIG MYSTERY.  Why does 4.7x still ship with
>         JRE 1.1?!!  Who even controls NS nowadays, Time Warner/
>         AOL?  (Translate as -- who do we bug to get this fixed?)
>         Does Sun have some influence with Netscape?  If so, why
>         do they permit 4.7x to atrophy at 1.1?  BIG MYSTERY
>         (at least to me).
>
>         NS 6.2 ships with JRE 1.3.1_01.  Much better. Sun had a
>         hand in this as 1.3.1_01 was released specifically for
>         NS 6.2 (so I heard).  Only problem with NS 6.2 is that
>         it is a fat slow pig.  NS 4.7x is much more nimble.
>         How do we get JRE 1.4.x into NS 4.7x??  NS has most of
>         the remaining 20% of the browser market, so this is a
>         non-trivial question.

Dont hold you breath, 4.xxx is a dead product. As for pushing the browser
market along dunno, but why would debian care which JRE Microsoft shipped (or
didn't ship) with IE.

Anyway, my oppinion is that this would probably be better addressed on a Java
advocacy list as opposed to this, a debian-java list.

- Eric