Re: Java Policy.

Adam Heath wrote:
I've got a makefile based build system, that supports jdk-like jvms(kaffe,
sun, blackdown, ibm), and gcj(which has a different cmdline format).

Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa) includes both an ant buildfile,
and an autotools-based (automake+autoconf+libtool) system.  The latter
compiles to .class/.jar files by default (using $(JAVAC)), but if
--with-gcj is specified on the configure command-line then it
*additionally* uses gcj and libtool to build kawa.so.  If --with-gcj
is specified, it also changes the default of $(JAVAC) to gcj -C.

I like this set-up, and I would like to recommend it as a GNU standard,
though it would help if the autotools had better builtin java and gcj
support.  I think the autotools maintainer are very opento such changes.

Of course this a separate matter from packaging, but standardizing
build-from-source will help to standardize packaging.
--
	--Per Bothner