Re: Which VM/Compiler

>>>>> "Heiko" == Heiko Garrelts <hgarrelts@web.de> writes:

Heiko> I'm both new to Debian and Java. I wanted to learn Java with a
Heiko> free VM and compiler. But which one should I choose?

It depends on your needs.

Heiko> Which of these possibilities is the best one if you are a Java
Heiko> beginner?  Which combination has the most features and
Heiko> compatibility to Java (e.g. I read that there is AWT support in
Heiko> Kaffe, is it also in the libgcj?).

libgcj currently doesn't have AWT support.  We hope to include it in
the next major release, but of course that is unpredictable.

Heiko> Is there a web page which has comparisons of
Heiko> kaffe/libgcj/classpath and gcj/jikes?

I don't know of one.

I work on libgcj.  I think it is a reasonable choice.  Many things
work with it already, and there is an active development community.

Tom