Re: java.home

Geoff Beaumont wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 10:54, Kamil Podlesak wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:10:44PM +0100, Geoff Beaumont wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me how java.home is determined in Java? On my system
> > > (Debian Woody, Blackdown JDK1.3) it ends up as /usr/lib/j2se1.3 whatever
> > > I try to prevent it. Obviously, this breaks anything which is expecting
> > > to be run within a JDK (principally JEdit, right now), as it can't find
> > > a compiler, etc.

Inability to find JDK tools such as javac means the path to your
JDK installation directory has not been placed into PATH.
In one of your startup scripts, like .bashrc, say something like:

JAVA_HOME=<absolute path to JDK install directory>; export JAVA_HOME
PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin; export PATH

Some tools do not use JAVA_HOME, but PATH is always required.
So it may be sufficient just to say

PATH=$PATH:<absolute path to JDK install directory>/bin; export PATH
(Don't forget the "/bin")

Hope this helps.

Rick
                  Rick