java.home

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how java.home is determined in Java? On my system
(Debian Woody, Blackdown JDK1.3) it ends up as /usr/lib/j2se1.3 whatever
I try to prevent it. Obviously, this breaks anything which is expecting
to be run within a JDK (principally JEdit, right now), as it can't find
a compiler, etc.

I'm running the correct java (/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3/bin/java) and I've tried
playing around with all the remotely likely looking environment
variables I can find, but all with no result.

Trawling through documentation and the Net has turned up a few
references to using java.home, but none to how it's determined.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com