Re: java.home

Geoff Beaumont <Geoff@stormhammer.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me how java.home is determined in Java? On my system
> (Debian Woody, Blackdown JDK1.3) it ends up as /usr/lib/j2se1.3

I think you mean /usr/lib/j2re1.3.

> whatever I try to prevent it. Obviously, this breaks anything which
> is expecting to be run within a JDK (principally JEdit, right now),
> as it can't find a compiler, etc.

The problem is that /usr/lib/j2sdk1.3/jre is a symlink to
/usr/lib/j2re1.3 and due to realpath we end up with the latter for
java.home.  This breaks applications which try to run
e.g. {java.home}/../bin/javac as /usr/lib/j2re1.3/../bin/javac
(i.e. /usr/lib/bin/javac) does not exist.

> I'm running the correct java (/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3/bin/java) and I've
> tried playing around with all the remotely likely looking
> environment variables I can find, but all with no result.

We have new packages which use a different directory layout and fix
this problem.  The new packages should be on the mirrors soon.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html