Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)

From: Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@skyjammer.com>
Subject: Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:14:05 -0600

> This looks like it matches the policy.  However, for other libaries like
> lib-gnu.getopt-java, I get:
>
>    /usr/share/java/repositories/gnu/getopt/<class files>
>
> This doesn't match the policy OR the directory structure proposed in the
> JNI-related email thread.

The old lib-gnu.getopt-java provided only class files in
/usr/share/java/repositories/. I remaind it for backward
compatibility. However if nobody use them, class files should be
removed.

BTW, how can I find the packages which depend lib-gnu.getopt-java?

>    1) Am I correct that I should be creating a .jar rather than
>       installing the 16 class files individually?  If not, where
>       should the class files go?

You are correct:)
You should provide only jar file.

>    2) Where should I put the javadoc documentation?  Seems like
>       html/ in the base documentation directory is a good place,
>       but (for instance) the getopt javadoc files are just put
>       right in the base documentation directory, not in html/.
>       Which is right?

I should change getopt;) html/ is good place:)

But, I like separated package for javadoc and manual like
libnbio-java-doc though I don't finish some of my packages.
lib*-java-doc packages be discussed debian-java (but I forget
where...).

BTW, javadoc place are disscussed other thread:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2001/debian-java-200111/msg00012.html

But currently, javadoc is placed individual directory.

>    3) There are two conflicting values for the preferred location
>       of JNI shared libraries - /usr/lib/java and /usr/lib/java/jni.
>       Which is correct?

There are other native interface for Java like CNI(cygnus native
interface) and KNI (kaffe native interface). That's the reason why I
support /usr/lib/java/jni for JNI.

One more thing, JNI will be improved for JDK1.4.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/jni/jni-14.html

So, maybe we should provide following two directory:
    /usr/lib/java/jni-1.2
    /usr/lib/java/jni-1.4

>    4) Is it my responsibility to ensure that the system-wide
>       $LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes /usr/lib/java (or /usr/lib/java/jni),
>       so that the JNI libraries are found?

IMO, You should not defined it. Because JNI libraries are used by only
Java applications. Java applications should define $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
when they are executed.

regards,
----
Takashi Okamoto