[summary] Re: policy proposition for javadoc installation

According to discussion, it seems we agreed on following points:
- have standard documentation and javadoc documentation in differents packages
- install javadoc documentation in /usr/share/javadoc/<package>

Points which are still to decide:
- which name to use for javadoc package ?
debian use -doc for their standard documentation package, so -javadoc would
be consistent
jpackage use -manual, so -javadoc would be less consistent (unless we switch
to -doc also, of course)
-dev could also be used in both case, as suggested by some peoples, but IMHO
would be confusing with native packages where it -dev is no specifically
documentation, but headers and static libs

- should we contact FHS about this new directory (/usr/share/javadoc) ?

- is cross-linking of javadoc an interesting/achievable feature ?
When building foo package, depending of bar package, add -linkoffline
/usr/share/javadoc/bar option to javadoc would provide cross-linked api
documentation

Subsidiary question (personal curiosity):
i know ant documentation comes in ant-doc package on debian. But is it
installed in /usr/share/doc/ant (using the main package name) or
/usr/share/doc/ant-doc (using the actual documentation package name)
directory ?
On rpm system (at least mandrake), /usr/share/doc/ant contains basic
readme.txt, license.txt, etc, while real manual get installed in
/usr/share/doc/ant-manual.
This is important as we have to decide if ant javadoc will go in
/usr/share/javadoc/ant or /usr/share/javadoc/ant-javadoc :-)
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html