Re: STOP INCLUDING EXTERNAL JARS IN YOUR JAVA PACKAGES!

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:16:37PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:51:40AM -0800, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
[..]

> You say that the war-files allow the classloading. That is not entirely
> true. Take tomcat for example.
>
> * You place a war-file in the specified directory.
>
> * Restart tomcat.
>
> * Tomcat now unzips this file to the webapp directory.

Or if you're running Tomcat 4.0 and have unpackWARs="false", the war
isn't unzipped. I think that's Sun's goal. In the same way jars aren't
unpacked before you can use the .class files, .wars shouldn't have to be
unpacked.

[..]
> I think we should cover the war-files in the policy too.
> They should be avoided, right?

If you don't like .wars, you shouldn't like .jars, for the same reasons
:)