Re: STOP INCLUDING EXTERNAL JARS IN YOUR JAVA PACKAGES!

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:29:44AM -0800, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> >
> > Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
> > <snip>

> > > Common does not make it right.
> >
> > but it doesn't make it harder to *make* it right.
>
> s/doesn't/does/ ?

yup... sorry :(  should have been does
<snip>

> Yes that is what you have to do. Libbar-1.1.1 needs to be a package with that
> name so an upgrade does not introduce conflicts. I think the new proposed java
> policy adresses this quite good.

Is there a link to the new proposed policy..  I think I saw it posted but can't
remember where I put it :(
<snip>

<snip>

> > Are you saying that .WAR files are also incorrect?
>
> Yes they are most probably incorrect.

... perhaps on debian systems.  It does make it easy to deploy java
applications especially if you want to be as 100% java as possible.

I don't think we will get past this issue though.  The WAR approach does allow
one VM to load code from multiple places due to the classloader approach.

If we want to push this 100% we will have to use a more modern classloader (IMO
the standard classloader suck).

> > Just because it isn't the UNIX approach doesn't make it incorrect.
> >
> > I have an Open Mind (TM) on the subject so I am listening...  Explain why
> > the Servlet WAR spec is incorrect and how it could be done better.
> > (Specifically WRT the WEB-INF/lib approach).
>
> Wars are not needed if you have deb packages.

Not necessarilly.  In the above scenario they are needed.

> Why have a packaging system (and a very bad one not allowing symlinks) inside
> an other packaging system?

There are advantages.  Again nothing is black and white. :)

> You can use simple directories instead of the war files. :)

I don't understand???
<snip>

- --

Resistance is *not* futile!