Intend to NMU jikes

Tomcat 3.2.3-4 won't move to testing because it has a dependency on
Jikes 1.14 which in turn won't move to testing because it's not being built
on ARM [1]. Given the fact that the maintainter is not reachable and the
recent history of NMUs I'd like to upload my local package with these

jikes (1.15-0.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * NMU
  * New upstream release (closes: #116644)
  * Architecture: any (so jikes gets built on ARM again and can hopefully
    move to testing soon)
  * Use debhelper V3 in debian/rules
  * Call "make distclean" in debian/rules
  * Standards-Version: 3.5.6 (no changes required)
  * Compile using g++ 3.0 and default optimization (-O2) on i386
  * Drop the Debian locale patches, upstream included a different patch and
    will probably include the rest later (closes: #110149)
    The only patch to the upstream sources is now the NAN patch from #116265
  * Install jikesapi.h in /usr/include
  * Removed emacs variables from changelog to make lintian happy

The packages are currently available at
If nobody objects I'd like to upload them to incoming in the next few
days, I'll probably recompile the packages on an unstable machine with
g++ 3.0.2 final first. I'll also have to make some small changes for archs
that don't support g++ 3.0 yet, I'll test this on s390.

I have tested various g++ and optimization levels and found that you get
the best results on i386 with g++ 3.0 and -O2. The resulting binary
seems to work fine when compiling Tomcat 4.0, even with locale settings.

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=jikes&ver=1.14-0.6&arch=arm&stamp=1003633326&file=log&as=raw

Stefan Gybas