Re: Intend to NMU jikes

Stefan Gybas <gybas@trustsec.de> writes:

>   * New upstream release (closes: #116644)

Good!

>   * Compile using g++ 3.0 and default optimization (-O2) on i386

Actually, you're compiling with g++-3 on all arches. (FWIW, I'd set CC
to gcc-3.0, too, just for good measure.)

> If nobody objects I'd like to upload them to incoming in the next few
> days, I'll probably recompile the packages on an unstable machine with
> g++ 3.0.2 final first. I'll also have to make some small changes for archs
> that don't support g++ 3.0 yet, I'll test this on s390.

Well, s390 (and all the other arches that jikes needs for testing)
/have/ g++ 3.0. I'm not sure whether they really work. Last I checked
arm's g++ 3.0 was not able to compile a trivial program. That was some
subversions ago, though.

The more serious issue, though, is: autobuilders will build jikes
against the libstdc++3 version in unstable, and the resulting binary
will depend on it. That is it will depend on libstdc++3 (>= 1:3.0.2-1)
on mips, libstdc++3 (>= 1:3.0.2-2) on alpha, etc. And testing has
1:3.0.2-0pre010922 currently, so -- guess what -- jikes won't get into
testing still.

There are two correct options:
* build with the default gcc (may not be possible)
* build with gcc 3 and be veeery patient while you wait that a
  suitably high version of libstdc++3 makes it into testing

I grew bored with the second option and resorted to cheating: I forced
the dependency on libsdtc++3 down via shlibs.local. This is evil
insofar as it breaks your program if it relies on functionality
introduced between 3.0.2-0pre010922 and 3.0.2-3. I don't recommend
this, YMMV, don't try this at home, kids.

"Live" picture of libstdc++3 version skew:
<URL:http://auric.debian.org/~robbe/madison/libs.html#libstdc++3>

I also filed a wishlist bug on libstdc++3 now.

--
Robbe