Tomcat install on Potato

I'm looking for instructions on how to get tomcat installed on my potato
based system.

So far I have modified the sources.list to point to testing and I have
received all the sources for tomcat and all the dependencies in
/usr/local/src. I haven't installed any java yet but I have downloaded java
1.3 from Sun.

So what is the debian way to complete the process? I am trying to keep the
system clean and to avoid using lots of .tar.gz files to build any products.

Thanks in advance

Robin