Re: Packages that require Java 2 ?

Hi Ben,

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Ben Burton wrote:

> > 	Do you mean that the java2-virtual-machine-dummy package should also
> > 	provide java-virtual-machine ?
>
> Well, that too, but that's not what I meant. :)
>
> No, I mean for instance kaffe should provide java-virtual-machine, but
> j2sdk1.3 should provide both java-virtual-machine and java2-virtual-machine.

	*nod*. I agree.

> This at least means that even though you don't have dependencies for virtual
> packages, you still have a way of requiring Java2.  But OTOH j2sdk1.3 will
> still satisfy the less stringent requirement of "any java", i.e.
> java-virtual-machine.

	Yep. We're on the same level here.

	Ok, so what happens now ? This kind of proposal is something that
	should really be added to the java-policy as it concerns the base
	components of a java system. How does this happen (assuming it's
	accepted) ?

	Perhaps we should wait a few days to see if any others have
	comments/thoughts they would like to add, as I'm more than interested
	in hearing any other proposals, comments, etc.

	If there are no major hassles, then mid next week I'll send in a more
	formal proposal for a java2-virtual-machine concept, which can be
	further discussed if needed. ITP's, etc, could then follow.

	How does that sound ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: