Re: Importance of a free jvm

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 9:59:42 EAT
Alan KF LAU <akflau@itsd.gcn.gov.hk> wrote:

> Hi Alex, I shouldn't have judge your opinion by your experience in Java
> programming, my apology.  As long as you are programming in java we are
> happy to discuss here. I change the title so as to stop the flame from
> continuing.

Cool!

> > Unless I'm mistaken, changes to the core Java APIs are slowing down. Presumably because they're perfect now. ;) Seriously, though, Java 2 1.3 has been out for a while, and I haven't heard any talk of 1.4 or 2.0 or anything like that. I assume the reason Kaffe et al are so behind par is because Java was a moving target, but I don't see that being a problem anymore.
>
> Afaik the specification is somewhat frozen from sometime, new extention
> will be in form of external APIs. I may be wrong, or SUN may feel like
> itchy to chage it again. :>

God forbid...

> I didn't really mean I want Kaffe die because it's funded by Microsoft,
> but I don't like the way they maintain the package, and yes, I
> personally think someone has behind all these, but it's just my own
> imagination.
> A free Java like Kaffe is so important to Java community as it can be
> distributed with apps without too much license restriction. It's
> especially important for handheld device, where having those users
> download external SDK to use your java programs is out of question.

Agreed.

> > And yes, the Java code I write is generally not anything to do with the Web. My last little project (not much of a project, but hey) was a Doom WAD reader/writer.
>
> It's cool I'd like to see that. All my Java program are developed as
> applets, no matter whether I need to run on web or not. The reason is
> that I can turn an applet into an app by coding few lines of main(), thus
> developing into applets can give you more flexibilities. Just my
> personal opinion, what do you think about it?

Most people seem to think applets are easier to write than applications, but
I don't see why.

public class SomeApplet extends javax.swing.JApplet {
}

...versus...

public class SomeApp extends javax.swing.JFrame {

    new SomeApp();
  }
}

Not much difference that I can see -- just three lines of code for main().
Maybe some extra junk if you want to center the window or set the L&F or
something like that. But I wrote some utility methods for that.

> Alan.

Regards,

Alex.