Newbie blackdown problem

Hi I'm a newbie Java guy. It took me three days to get setup with Java in Debian.

I'm using the jde package, originally with the blackdown compiler etc.

I couldn't get the blackdown "java" program to run my program. It says java.lang.NoClassDef("HelloWorld"); (or something like that)

Any way I downloaded Borland JBuilder foundation, and manually linked all the etc/alternatives/*j* to link to their jdk1.3. Now it works fine.

I'd like to use packaged, open-sourcish stuff if available.

Please give reccomendations of good 1.3 jdks and tools that I can try out.

Mr. Newbie Java guy :)