Re: RFC: provides: java-servlet-engine

>>> Stefan Gybas <stefan@gybas.com> 14-Jan-01 9:50:49 PM >>>

>Cocoon needs to me aware of the actual
>serlvet engine to be able to do an automatic
>setup and can't just depend on java-servlet-engine.
>This would require a common setup tool for all
>servlet engines

Well... all 2.2 onwards compliant servlet engines now have such a
tool.

The problem is that JServ (as I'm sure you know) is a "discontinued
product" and doesn't support the latest servlet APIs (and never
will).

I think the change is a good one as it would allow me to specify
GNU-Paperclips (the FSFs GPLed servlet engine) as something that could
be depended on by packages like Coccoon.

Nic

PS the problem with Jserv could be fixed with a
deployment-descriptor->jserv-conf translator but I doubt very much
whether there will ever be one.