Re: RFC: provides: java-servlet-engine

Thom May wrote:

> To belatedly follow this up, should I take this
> up on debian-policy , or is that not the correct way to get it
> implemented? Doesn't look like anyone thought it was a bad
> thing...

You still did not tell me what we would gain from this virtual package
(see my message to Debian-Java from December 2000 at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java-0012/msg00019.html).

You just need to depend on Cocoon in your package and let Cocoon
handle its own dependencies. Cocoon needs to me aware of the actual
serlvet engine to be able to do an automatic setup and can't just
depend on java-servlet-engine. This would require a common setup
tool for all servlet engines (something like
"update-servlet-engine add-mapping *.xml org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon")

If you want to write such a tool for all servlet engines, please
send me a patch and I'll include it in the next jserv and tomcat
uploads.

--
Stefan Gybas