Re: packaging jars vs. classes

> * Joe Emenaker <joe@emenaker.com> [001108 14:04]:

> > Isn't that what the Debian package "conflicts" and "requires" settings
are
> > for? If I compile Apache against libc5 and then replace libc5 with
libc6,
> > Apache's going to break until I recompile, right? However, the Debian
> > packaging system safely navigated us through that migration... so I
don't
> > see why it wouldn't work here.
>
> This would be true if Java provided an easy way to get at version
> numbers of libraries/class/jar files. Without easy version numbers built
> in, that means we have to build it ourselves.

Huh? The libraries aren't responsible for providing the version number, the
package maintainer is. For example:

  $ dpkg --list | grep jdk
  ii  jdk-common     1.0.2-7        JDK (Java Development Kit)
  ii  jdk-shared     1.0.2-7        JDK (Java Development Kit) - Shared part
  ii  jdk1.1         1.1.7v3-1      JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit) -
Runtime o
  ii  jdk1.1-dev     1.1.7v3-1      JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit)

And you can get these version numbers no matter what debian package you
load, right? Tomcat, Xerces, Ant... they all have version numbers in the
Debian package itself.

- Joe