Re: packaging jars vs. classes

Aaron Brashears <gila@gila.org> writes:

> After some reflection it seems that it would make more sense to just
> copy the class files in /usr/share/java so setting the classpath for
> standard packages would be handled once by setting
> CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java once instead of having to tack on new jar
> file to the classpath every time a new package is installed.

Ah, wouldn't that be nice.  If every package maintained compatibility
release to release, we could do that.  But that doesn't always happen.
For example, Kawa's package hierarchy is going through some
reorganization, such that if I compile BRL against Kawa 1.6.67 won't
work with Kawa 1.6.70 (solved just by recompiling).

It's hard to predict what packages will or won't have version
compatibility issues in the future, but I'm sure *some* of them can be
installed as class files.

After Unix took so much time solving the shared-library versioning
problem, Sun un-solved it with Java.

--
Bruce R. Lewis				http://brl.sourceforge.net/