Re: advantage of /usr/share/java/repository over /usr/share/java?

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

> Because you need a place to put the jars, too (for people who prefer
> them). If we choose your proposal, jars will be directly in the root
> of Java classes.

Is this a conflict?  Foo.jar will never be a top-level directory of the
Java classes.

> Yes, jars are messy, hence the "repository" subdirectory which is
> supposed to stay clean (following the hierarchical naming of classes).

Is there any issue except for people doing "ls" at the top-level of the
hierarchy?  Isn't much interesting there anyway.

I don't think there's any harm in having non-class files in a directory
that's in one's CLASSPATH.  After all, it happens with build directories
all the time: source files, Makefiles, etc.

The reason I'm pressing this issue is that I'd like to see Kawa and BRL
packaged for Debian (by me or by somebody else, doesn't matter), and if
I end up doing it and go against Per's suggestion to use /usr/share/java
instead of /usr/share/java/repository, I want to be able to give him a
good reason.  I don't yet feel that I have one.

--
Bruce R. Lewis				http://brl.sourceforge.net/