Re: advantage of /usr/share/java/repository over /usr/share/java?

On Wednesday 13 September 2000, at 16 h 38, the keyboard of
brlewis@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Why would anyone have a problem with /usr/share/java being the
> repository.

Because you need a place to put the jars, too (for people who prefer them). If
we choose your proposal, jars will be directly in the root of Java classes.

> Having a "repository" subdirectory doesn't do much to keep
> /usr/share/java clean, especially if lots of apps put jar files there.

Yes, jars are messy, hence the "repository" subdirectory which is supposed to stay clean (following the hierarchical naming of classes).