Re: IBM JDK for Debian?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> A request for clarification: it is my understanding that the
> IBM JDK port for Linux can not be packaged for Debian because
> of licensing that requires RedHat. I also remember reading

According to the license I have read about two weeks ago, it may not
even be installed on anything else, than Redhat 6.0 and Caldera 2.2.

> that IBM and RedHat have some kind of distribution agreement.

Of this I don't know, but I guess IBM will not enter into anything similar
to its agreements in Microsoft in the past. And this would be VERY similar
to it.

> Finally, I read a claim that Bruce Perens is/was talking to
> IBM about these issues.

About issues concerning the IBM Public License, which is the license of
jikes, but unfortunately not the license of the IBM JDK. I haven't heard
of Bruce Perens talking to them about the JDK, only gathering ammunition.

> With respect to potato having gone into freeze, is it correct
> to say that even if the issue is resolved, the IBM JDK will
> not be available with Debian/for Debian? If any of the above
> is incorrect, I'd appreciate a notifier. Thanks.

Well, there IS an installer for the IBM JDK 1.1.8 in potato contrib or
non-free, I don't remember off my head.

However the licensing... God knows.

But there is always the way of installing Redhat, and then overwriting
with Potato :) If a scrap of redhat remains, eg. an motd file or something
similar, than the software is used in conjunction with Redhat :)

However don't expect support for it :)

Robert Varga