someone could port libgc[Fwd: ]

--- Begin Message ---
Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 10:15:58AM -0500, Derek L Davies wrote:
> > Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > [snip]
> > > I don't know what gcj is, have to check, but we will have kaffee someday
> > > sooner or later. I am not sure what you mean with "it has java",
> > > I will look into that later today. If it causes trouble, deactivating it
> > > until we are ready should be fine.
> >
> > I believe gcj compiles java directly to native machine code.
>
> Oh I see. I will look into it.
>
> > Seems to me there's merits to having both kaffe
> > and gcj so, I think, porting both should be encouraged.

I was hoping that gdj was another subset of gcc; I have seen something about
java in the source of later gcc.  Though I have built gcc on many UNIX boxes I
have not succeeded on Hurd yet.

OK.   Will have a good look at what the java and C++ does.  Will also find out
what this gcj is; (the build does  javac=gcj.  Will report back this weekend

Many thanks
Chris