Re: ibm jdk licence

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Monday 10 January 2000, at 18 h 19, the keyboard of Robert Varga
> <robi@piros.zold.net> wrote:
>
> > What is the current state of licensing the IBM jdk?
>
> I don't know, the installer is still in "contrib", but contains very few info
> about the licencing issues. You could file a bug/wishlist against it on this
> subject.
>
> > Is it possible to obtain a licence for Debian 2.1?
>
> It would still be non-free, because of item 8 in the DFSG "License Must Not Be
> Specific to Debian".
>
> See bug #54641 for an issue about IBM JDK.

My interest is not in what distribution (main or contrib) the ibm-jdk can
be put in, but whether I can use IBM jdk on a debian machine at all.

I don't know where to put that ominous 3 lines about the 'program code may
be used only in conjunction with RH 6.0 and Caldera 2.2' (not exact
quotation). Does this forbid the usage ibm jdk with debian linux or not?

We are to ship a system where we suggested debian linux and ibm jdk. Due
to the licensing it seems unclear whether this combination is legal or
not. We don't want to replace either components, since we don't trust
other JDKs due to stability issues with every other jdk tried, and
naturally we would not like to use neither redhat nor caldera due to
obvious reasons (redhat being nowhere near to being secure, and caldera is
not really known to us, therefore we would not dare to provide support for
it).

TIA,

Robert Varga