Re: Debian Java outlook/ Re: kaffe orphaned?

Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
 > >    - defining a Java equivalent to libc
 > >       (collection of utility classes shared among Java "binaries")
 >
 > Isn't it java.lang.* ?

Depends on what you are looking for. JTar? Getopt? Maybe
libj is not the right word, but Giant Java Tree is not the
alternative. There has to be a commitment to integration,
not just collection.

 > It exists in Debian: gcj.

No JNI support.

 > Piling up more policy-compliant *.deb packages will help building the first
 > layers of a nice Java environment.

Nice with respect to what? It will create a standard.
Whether that standard is legacy or not depends on
how much the policy anticipated, doesn't it?

I'm not going to continue this, I said my piece. For the
foreseeable future I will have to get my Java installs
upstream anyway ;-).

                                          b.