Re: Java Policy Question

David Warnock wrote:

> Stephane (sorry no accent on the e),
>
> I have not been following the discussions on the policy very closely but
> I have a query.
>
> We are developing java applications on Debian. But we are not using the
> standard debian packages for jdk, jre or jikes. The reason is that we
>
> a) often need newer versions than have been packaged eg we had problems
> with jdk1.1.7 and are now using jdk1.1.7b which is not packaged in
> potato.
>
> b) need multiple versions of java installed eg v1.1.7 and v1.2pre2 and
> need to switch between these for different projects (also when upgrading
> a product from 1.1.7 to 1.2 we need to support both for a while).
>
> But we do install other packages which depend on a jdk eg jserv.
> However, this has a dependency to java-virtual-machine which I don't
> have installed (because it is not as new as the version I need).
>
> So how can I get a package such as jserv installed that will use the jdk
> I have installed that did not come from a package?
>
> I wonder if a package implementing java-virtual-machine (and also for
> the classpath package I have seen discussed) could be provided that does
> not actually install anything but just has a directory with notes on the
> symbolic links (or whatever) required to your own working jdk.
>
> I appreciate that our need as java developers is different from people
> who use java applications which is I think the original focus for the
> policy.
>
> Have I explained myself clearly? Am I correct that there is a problem
> here? Is my suggestion sensible or is there a better solution?

We have virtually identical needs here, including the transition to 1.2.
One possibility might be an installer .deb that works for jdk
distributions with a certain organization - they are pretty consistent,
so shouldn't be much of a problem.

--

Paul Reavis                                      preavis@partnersoft.com
Design Lead