Java Policy Question

Stephane (sorry no accent on the e),

I have not been following the discussions on the policy very closely but
I have a query.

We are developing java applications on Debian. But we are not using the
standard debian packages for jdk, jre or jikes. The reason is that we

a) often need newer versions than have been packaged eg we had problems
with jdk1.1.7 and are now using jdk1.1.7b which is not packaged in
potato.

b) need multiple versions of java installed eg v1.1.7 and v1.2pre2 and
need to switch between these for different projects (also when upgrading
a product from 1.1.7 to 1.2 we need to support both for a while).

But we do install other packages which depend on a jdk eg jserv.
However, this has a dependency to java-virtual-machine which I don't
have installed (because it is not as new as the version I need).

So how can I get a package such as jserv installed that will use the jdk
I have installed that did not come from a package?

I wonder if a package implementing java-virtual-machine (and also for
the classpath package I have seen discussed) could be provided that does
not actually install anything but just has a directory with notes on the
symbolic links (or whatever) required to your own working jdk.

I appreciate that our need as java developers is different from people
who use java applications which is I think the original focus for the
policy.

Have I explained myself clearly? Am I correct that there is a problem
here? Is my suggestion sensible or is there a better solution?

Thanks

Dave

--
David Warnock