Re: Help with a japanese license for music in a videogame

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 09:48:22AM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2007/11/17, dombly@kc4.so-net.ne.jp <dombly@kc4.so-net.ne.jp>:
>
> > > And it seems to be DFSG-free, so I don't have to remove it. Can anyone
> > > confirm it?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > The author asserts that their products cannot be redistributed freely.
> > See their English page (http://www.geocities.jp/cyber_rainforce/english.html):

> Some Japanese folks are not really that proficient in English, and he
> might have wanted to say "allow" instead of "forbids", as the text
> doesn't make any sense otherwise. It's the original Japanese license
> that matters to me, not the English abstract. Is it also said there? I
> mean, does also the original license in Japanese forbids
> redistribution or it allows it?

I am one of those Japanese lacking proficiency in English but I can
certainly read the Japanese original which was written more legible in
writing style than translated one.  It was still loosely written license
and difficult to assess.

Short answer: NOT DFSG and not even for Debian non-free

This prohibits secondary distribution while allowing downloading after
consenting to his rule.

Although he states he is flexible on terms, I doubt that he will bend
his rule to DFSG license.

Here is my rough translation.

---- This asserts that this is not copyright free (i.e., not public
domain).

You may download without permission from the author provided you agree
on associated terms.

You may edit downloaded contents and perform followings
 * filename change
 * format change (WAV->MP3 WAV->OGG MP3->OGG OGG->MP3)

You should consult author for the followings:
 * remix MIDI->MP3
 * Bit rate change for MP3

Followings are forbidden:
 * MP3,OGG-> MIDI
 * Use part of the music as sound effects

If you make game using this, you must donate 1 game to the author.
Do not distribute contents to third party!

----> This ends discussion for DFSG or inclusion to non-free!

Osamu