Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

Hi,

> But if I manage to get a UTF-8 environment working in the 3 languages
> I use daily maybe I'll consider going further.

> My general feeling was that even though Debian gave potential access
> to a great number of m17n features, those did not seem to be proposed
> by default. I am still surprised that the default locale is not by
> default a UTF-8 encoded one.

I'm surprised, too :) But Debian's UTF-8 support seems quite mature now
I'm running en_US.utf-8 on 3 linux installations I regularly use.

I would really suggest you try to get X-Windows working.  If setup of
Debian takes too much time and effort, you might like Ubuntu.  This is a
distribution derived from Debian with lots of auto-configuration and
user-friendliness added on top.  I managed to install a quite new Laptop
in only 1 hour with x-windows, networking (even WLAN), sound and
everything working.

If you need japanese input in X, you will be surprised how well that
works with GTK2-apps.  Just install uim, uim-anthy and uim-gtk2.0, run
uim-pref-gtk, select "Anthy" as the default input method.  Now you can
toggle japanese input by pressing Shift+Space.  Firefox (and
Thunderbird?) will also support japanese input this way.  For Gnome, you
can also run uim-toolbar-gtk, which allows easier switching of input
methods.

Getting japanese input into other X-Apps will take more effort.  This
relies on the XIM interface which can be supported using uim-xim.
Openoffice, for example, will be able to do japanese in-line editing
this way.

regards and good luck,

David