Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

Hi Jean,

At 1 Oct 06 01:49:31 GMT,
Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Now I need to figure out a number of things that are not exactly clear:
>
> 1) My keyboard is roughly a jp106. How can configure the system to be
> able to input French with as little hassle as possible ?

Nearly impossible. It's hard to input French directly from jp106 on
console.
plan A: Change console keyboard by using loadkeys (or
        "dpkg-reconfigure console-data").
        Though it's not convenience.

plan B: Use Emacs. Emacs has some input methods, includes for
        French. I don't know details but Emacs21 of Sarge
        provides these methods (C-u C-\) at least.
french-alt-postfix		   french-azerty
french-keyboard			   french-postfix
french-prefix

> 2) Second input question: I need Japanese input. What is the input
> method that works the best with fbiterm ? And will all applications
> running in fbiterm accept the input. Are there still applications
> that do not support UTF-8 input/display ?

AFAIK there is uim-fep package for console.
You have to install backend package to connect a dictionary also.
uim-anthy is a recommended choice.
I dunno all console application can handle Japanese correctly.
As I wrote above, Emacs is an alternative choice to input Japanese.

> 3) Are the fonts installed with fbiterm enough to display Japanese
> and French at least ?

I don't know about fbiterm, but jfbterm uses unifont for UTF-8
environment. I think this font has enough characters to display
both Japanese and French.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto